Supported Accommodation

Our Supported Accommodation Scheme offers a mixture of supported accommodation including shared flats and houses and self-contained flats for young people who are homeless, potentially homeless or in other housing need. Dewis manage the units that are provided by  United Welsh Housing Association, and Linc Cymru.

Our dedicated team of housing and support staff provide support to enable young people to live independently and maintain a tenancy with the aim of moving-on to accommodation with either a Housing Association or in the private rental sector.

Applications for our Supported Accommodation Scheme can be made in person at our office or by using the application tab on our home page.


Crisis Support Scheme

Dewis Crisis Support Scheme is accommodation for young people aged between 16 and 21 who are leaving the care of the Local Authority or require emergency accommodation. The scheme offers access to a private room and use of facilities in a 24 hour staffed 4 bed property. The period of placement can vary in length from 1 night to 6 months dependant on the need/vulnerability of the young person.

Our dedicated team of support staff are based on site to provide support, with tenancy related ndependent living skills, under the guidance of the Scheme Team Leader who will work closely with Social Services to support planned exit onto the next placement.

Our Crisis Support Schemes are based in Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend.


Advice & Information

Dewis also offers an advice service. If you have any questions about homelessness, or about your personal situation regarding housing, then you can turn to Dewis for advice and guidance.  You can call us on 01639-882536,  email your query to or call into our office at 47 Station Road, Port Talbot.

Alternatively, you can call into our office at 47 Station Road, Port Talbot.

We also work in partnership with NPT Housing Options Team and hold a housing advice surgery on a fortnightly basis on Wednesday mornings at the Civic Centre in Neath.


Bond Board 

The Bond Board Scheme offers help to enable anyone aged between 18 and 35 who are on benefits or low income access good quality private rented accommodation. We do this by providing a written guarantee to the Landlord that we will pay out up to the value of the Bond if there is any damage to the property or rent arrears at the end of a tenancy.

We also provide low level housing management support at the beginning of the tenancy to assist in accessing housing and welfare benefits and in setting up utility connections.

Applications for the Bond Board can be made in person at either of our offices or by using the application tab on our home page.

FAQ’s for landlords

What is a Dewis Bond?
A Bond is a written guarantee that takes the place of a cash deposit. It operates the same as a cash deposit and is payable at the end of a tenancy if there are rent arrears, theft or damage. This is a cash free alternative to the Tenancy Deposit Protection Schemes introduced in April 2007, which asks landlords to lodge cash deposits into a custodial scheme, or pay an insurance premium, if they wish to hold the deposits themselves.

Who is the service for?
Our Bond Board scheme works with homeless people who are seeking accommodation in the private-rented sector and are unable to raise the cash deposit required to move into a new tenancy.

Do I have to register it with a Tenancy Deposit Scheme?
No, you do not have to register the non-cash bond with a Tenancy Deposit Scheme. You would only have to use the Tenancy Deposit Scheme if you take a cash deposit from the tenant.

How much is the bond for?
This varies depending on the number of people moving into the property, the amount of rent and the area the property is in.

What does it cover?
The Bond is a promise to pay up to its value, in the event of rent arrears, theft or damage that occurred during the life span of the bond. The Bond is only payable when the tenancy has been brought to an end and after the tenant has vacated the property.

Do you do any checks on tenants?
Applicants interested in applying to our scheme are asked to complete an application form and are then invited to attend an appointment to discuss their application. Dewis will make additional enquiries for its own use and eligibility criteria. It is always recommended that landlords carry out their own checks on the suitability of a prospective tenant.

What if I have my own tenant; can they use the scheme?
If you have your own tenant who is currently in a tenancy with you they would not be eligible for our scheme. If you are bringing a tenancy to an end and your tenant may be faced with homelessness, we could talk to them to ascertain if they would be eligible to make an application to us.

What do you expect of my property, i.e. condition?
Dewis expects all rented properties to be in a good habitable condition free from disrepair and hazards. We actively encourage landlords to become members of the local area Landlord Accreditation Schemes. Any furniture, fixtures or fittings should be of the legal basic fitness standard and be free from hazards and disrepair. All properties are inspected by a Dewis employee and an inventory is carried out prior to a tenant moving in to that property.

Do I still manage the property?
Yes, or use a managing agent.

How long does the bond last?
Dewis Bonds run concurrently with the tenancy and are intended for a maximum one year period. An extension to the time period of the Bond may be negotiable.

What rent should I charge?
We recommend that you base your rent level on the Local Housing Allowance (Housing Benefit) eligible amount for the number of bedrooms in your property. Most of our applicants are in receipt of welfare benefits or are in low paid work and do not have additional finances to be able to ‘top up’ contractual rent differences.

Can you guarantee me the rent?
No, the bond only covers rent arrears and does not cover any rent shortfall.

Do you need any legal documents from me to use the scheme?
If you let your property to one of our applicants, you will be asked to sign a bond agreement before letting your property. The tenant and a representative from Dewis will also sign the document. You will be expected to provide a legally binding tenancy agreement at the start of the tenancy and to explain the tenancy agreement to the tenant. You will be expected to provide a copy of the current gas safety certificate.

If I need to, how do I claim against the bond?
To make a claim, you would be expected to complete a Dewis Bond Board claim form and return it within three weeks of receipt of the form. We will ask you to supply evidence of rent arrears or theft, or allow us to visit and view any damage.

What do we ask of Landlords?
•That you act in a responsible and lawful manner.
•The property and any furniture should pass the legal basic fitness standard.
•The rent should be affordable and appropriate for the tenant.
•A tenancy agreement in plain English should be issued and explained to the tenant prior to signing.
•That you are not resident in the property or providing B&B accommodation.